Perfect in my Mind

Perfect in my Mind

Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Cheap Make Up Tips

You might not know this about me, but I am obsessed with make-up.  Ob. Sessed.  If I don't have anything to do, I am probably on YouTube looking up different tutorials or product reviews.  My favorite aisle of any drugstore, department store, or convenience store is always the beauty department.  I have probably tried just about every drugstore brand mascara there is to try, and I have wasted more hours of my life picking out nail polish than I even care to admit.  Make-up and me?  We're pretty tight.

The only thing that gets in the way of my make-up make-out sessions is my inherent desire to be frugal.  AKA, I'm a cheapskate.  If you're anything like me, you want to look awesome without breaking the bank.  Since this isn't my first rodeo, I thought I'd share with you a few of my favorite tips for getting the best bang for your buck in the beauty department.



FOUNDATION/CONCEALER

I will be the very first to admit that I do not have great skin.  In fact, my skin kind of blows chunks.  Large pores?  Check.  Breakouts?  Check.  Under eye circles?  Check.  For many, many years I thought that I needed to cake on tons of concealer and foundation to mask my imperfections.  Those products can get kind of pricey!  Recently, I learned that buying both is not necessary.  Ladies, let me introduce to three little words that will change your life:  full coverage foundation.  

I started using Revlon Color Stay foundation for oily/combination skin a few months ago, and I can honestly say my skin has never looked better (after applying make-up, of course).  It has a thicker consistency than a lot of foundations I have tried, and one application will literally last you all day.  Great, right?  Well, I'm not even to the great part.  My favorite part of full coverage foundations is that they are very build-able   For instance, if I have a blemish on my cheek but the rest of my face is clear, I can lightly apply the foundation to my entire face, and then come back to the blemish and apply a little more.  Before you know it, it's gone!  Essentially, this is two products in one . . . and for under $10 (at Walmart), you really can't beat it.  

EYES


Did you guys know that you can get brand name make up at the Dollar Store?  Because you totally can!  It's often hit or miss, but I have purchased quality beauty items for $1 and change.  My most recent Dollar Store purchase included some ELF Liquid Eyeliner, and some Almay Mascara.  At Walmart or Target I would have paid about $6 for each of these products . . . but I got them for practically nothing.  And guess what?  They rock, and will last me about two months.  

CHEEKS/FACE

Wet and Wild gets a bad rap, sometimes . . . and for some products I can totally see why.  I have purchased some Wet and Wild products that really suck, I will admit.  But, you know what?  These guys can pump out some seriously great blushes and bronzers!  If you're new to Wet and Wild, I would try out the Silk Finish Blush Compact in Pearlescent Pink.  It is a gorgeous color, and I assume it's pretty universal.  The pigmentation is really dense, so you won't need a lot and it will stay on your cheeks all day! I don't use bronzer often, but when I do I use Wet and Wild Color Icon Bronzer in Ticket to Brazil.  These products are about $3 each, and will last you a really long time.  Like, I'm talking a year.  Or more.  


LIPS

I have a bit of an obsession with lipsticks and lip glosses.  If I ever change up my make-up routine, it is usually to add a new color of lipstick to my repertoire.  I love having a big collection of lip colors.  It's seriously fun for me to wear different colors to compliment my "look" for the day.   However, if you want to have like, 15 different options of lipstick without breaking the bank, you have to do quite the dance.  I have already done that dance, so I'll save you the speal and just get with my favorite bargains:


1.  NYC Ultra Moist Lipwear $0.99 @ Walmart
2.  Sally Hansen Lip Inflation  $6.59 @ ULTA
3.  Maybelline New York Baby Lips  $2.97 @ Walmart
4. Covergirl Wetslicks  $4.84 @ Walmart
5.  Revlon Super Lustrious Lipsticks  $4.97 @ Walmart
6.  Revlon Just Bitten Kissable Lipstain  $7.48 @ Walmart
7.  Maybelline New York Color Sensation Lipstick  $7.49 @ Walmart
8.  Covergirl Lip Perfection Lipstick  $4.94 @ Target

Alright, so that just about does it for my make up bargains  but I want to know your top drugstore picks!  I'm always on the lookout for something new, so let me know your "must have" beauty items in the comments below!  


11 comments:

beccamayy said...

I LOVE LOVE LOVE Lip Inflation, I put it on top of a lip stain all the time. You can get it at Walmart too for about the same price.

Katie said...

I use the same foundation and I love it! And right now I'm kind of obsessed with the Revlon Colorstay Ultimate Liquid Lipstick. It's awesome, and it stays on like...all day. Which is kind of important to me, cuz I get tired of applying and reapplying all the time.

Stesha said...

great make - up tips! I love Elf and I love how cheap it is!

xxS

Alexis Kaye said...

So I'm really glad you wrote this because personally, I hate makeup and I wish it weren't socially unacceptable to go makeupless everywhere. Because I would. But truth is I'm like pretty much every other girl and I look better with make up. My pocketbook thanks you dear. :)

Autumn @ Autumn All Along said...

My mind is totally blown over the dollar store stuff...will try that out! I had so many roommates who would spend $100 for just one of these items....usually foundation. They would then ask me "so, where did you get yours?"...uhhh Walmart.

I love the Revlon lipsticks too! My favorite shade is Soft Rose.

Unknown said...

You are so gorgeous! And I'm super excited to take these tips with me to the store soon!

Emma Frances said...

Love the tips! I took your tip about the Baby Lips from a post a while back and now I tell everyone about it because I love my baby lips! Haha. So I trust your beauty suggestions and I'm going shopping!

Annette said...

Cool post!! You are in the know! And beautiful, too! Love you so much.

Heidi said...

I am SO HAPPY that you posted this. Seriously. I need some new cheaper make-up. I've been stuck on Mac, and somehow everything always runs out at once, and that's a LOT of money to shell out, especially at Christmas time. I can't wait to try some of these out! (I do already have Baby Lips-OBSESSED.)

Kacey said...

L'oreal Infallible lipstick is killer. I wear Ravishing Red daily, and one re-application midday is all you need! Going to subscribe to this blog. Love your stuff!

Alayna said...

This is amazing! My favorite lipsticks are the Rimmel Kate Moss collection, she has absolutely amazing matte reds and pinks! And they have a slight scent which smells sooooo good :) They're really pigmented and they don't dry your lips AT ALL. Which is hard to find in a matte lipstick. And they're less than $5 at Target and Walmart (definitely cheaper at Walmart, though).