Perfect in my Mind

Perfect in my Mind

Monday, January 2, 2012

When We First Met


I am a real life Miss Congeniality.

In August 2009 I decided to compete in the Miss Iron County pageant.  My mom was a Miss Iron County, my aunt was a Miss Iron County, and I wanted to be, too.
I didn't win the crown.  But I met someone who would forever change my life.

Meet Phil Trunnell:
Phil is a professional beat-boxer, and performs with a local acappella group called, !nverted.  They were the opening act for the 2009 Miss Iron County Pageant.  Backstage, most of the girls giggled about how cute Phil was.  We all wanted to know more about this vocal percussionist.

I got to.

Phil and I started instant messaging and texting quite a bit.  We learned more about each other.  We learned that we didn't really like like each other.  I learned that he had a younger brother.   Who was handsome.  And smart.  And funny.  I was intrigued, but quite sure I would never know Mr. James Trunnell.

Phil gave me James' number, and told me to text him.  I was scared.  I wasn't used to making the first move.  But, I did it.   James and I started the 'getting to know you' process, and it was easy.  He was so fun to talk to, and made me forget about other passing fancies.  I wanted to know more.  I wanted to know him.

A few weeks later, James drove up from Saint George to Cedar City.  We went to Denny's.  It was sort of awkward.  The kind of awkward where you don't know what to say, because you've already said it all.  After talking on the phone and texting for so long, we didn't exactly know how to handle real life.  But, I knew there was something special about this guy.

As the night progressed, things became more awkward--but also more magical.  We ended up talking in my parent's family room until four in the morning.  When the night ended, I knew I would see him again.  I wanted to be his.

We continued to date for a few months, and I decided I wanted to move to Saint George and go to school.  I loved living in Cedar City, but I needed some independence.  I craved freedom.  Our relationship changed a bit after I moved closer to him.  There were good parts. but there were bad parts, too.  Something was not right, and we both knew it.  We broke up and got back together.  And then did it again.  And again.  And again. In the course of our nine months together, I think in the end we ended our relationship a total of five times.  The last time we broke up, I thought it was for good.

 I decided to move back home and live my old life in Cedar City.  I thought I would be excited to be single again.  But, in the end, I really just missed James.

My life was fine, but it was not great.  Something was missing.  I never felt the happiness I desired.  I went on a few dates, but the guys never seemed to match up to James.  I wanted him back, but didn't want what we had before.

Then I remembered.  Words of wisdom spoken by an institute teacher of semesters' past rang through my head:  'Be hard to get, but easy to be with.'

This time, I would not make the first move.

This mentality made all the difference.  I soon learned that James missed me, too.  He came to see me in Cedar City, and we had a magical date.  And another, and another.  Our relationship this time was almost perfect.  We were in love in a way we had never been.  A way that craved permanence.

A month and a half after James' first visit to Cedar City, he asked me to marry him.


And I said, 'yes.'

We were married in the Saint George Temple on December 18th, 2010.




And we've been blissfully happy ever since.


No comments: